Recently I had my first consultation with Kerry and her 8-year-old daughter, Jenna. Kerry contacted me several weeks ago about redoing Jenna’s room for her birthday in March. I was game. We chatted a little via social media and she told me that her daughter loved purple. What a coincidence, because I loved purple when I was about her age! She sent me a few pics of her current room… While it’s fun and bright, Kerry wants to update her room. And here was the most important piece of information: she wanted it to be a room that she could mature with. Meaning, not a little kid room that she will be sick of in a year. The plan was for this to become a room she could enjoy into her teenage years. At least, with little tweaking along the way that didn’t involve a major overhaul.
I was all over it! We couldn’t connect until after the holidays for me to get to their house to see the room and talk more. But I just got so excited.
- White bedding with purple printed sheets
- Grey walls
- Purple accents
- Fun, feminine art that is not childish
- White furniture
- White curtains
Then I got really excited and did some “shopping.” Where did I head? Why Target of course. I was almost positive I could find everything I was looking for there. And I was right.
Here was my final result (the link goes to the Olioboard site with links to each specific item if you click on them)…
- 1- I assessed the comforter sets. I like this Threshold white rouched set because of the subtle details. And it’s machine washable. Kid friendly? I think so.
- 2- I found some cute purple chevron sheets in the kiddo aisle- and they were on sale! They only had twin and full but her bed is full size so this is a great way to get cute sheets without forking out a ton of moolah.
- 3- When I got to the throw pillows, I got giddy. I found a flower-looking lavender one and a lumbar pillow in deep purple with white lace. How about that for feminine detail that’s not childish?
- 4- I perused the lamps and decided a punch of another color, like teal, would be good. And even better with a slightly glittery lampshade.
- 5- White ruffled curtains? Yes. It makes the window pop but doesn’t distract from art or bedding. Again, subtle feminine detail.
- 6- A metallic starburst mirror is a great over-the-bed addition because it moves more light around the room.
- 7- I found this cute typography artwork on Etsy that is both girly and chic. A recipe for a mature room. I am in love with them all!
I suggested the same paint color (Quill by Olympic) we used for our front living room (and I just re-painted another room with this color) that I am IN LOVE with because it is a lovely warm greige (the photo swatch is not very accurate). It will look great with white, purple, and teal. A great neutral that lets the furniture and textiles shine instead of being a distraction.I did pick out a fun purple paint color per Jenna’s request in case they decided to do an accent wall or paint her bathroom, Regal Plum by Valspar. I love this one because it is a little muddier and not as in-your-face.White furniture would really lighten up the room. We discussed painting the bed frame and finding some great storage for her toys which can later be used for clothes. I suggested this storage piece from Ikea with woven baskets.Finally, I thought a magnetic chalkboard (like this one I found on Pinterest) would be a fun place for her to doodle and hang her One Direction poster.
I shared my inspiration board with Kerry and Jenna when I went to their house last weekend. They both loved it and I was so happy! With her birthday in March, hopefully I will get to share “after” pictures in a few months!
I had so much fun on this room and can’t wait for more consultation opportunities! If you are interested in a Makeover Monday inspiration board or an in-home Consultation, check out my pages! I would love to work with YOU!